One of the most popular decorations on a home are string lights but hanging lights on gutters can be tricky and may cause damage if not done properly. Fortunately, there are some simple tips and tricks to follow to hang lights without wrecking your gutters. In this blog post, we will discuss how to hang lights without damaging your gutters.
- Use Gutter Clips: Gutter clips are specially designed to attach lights to gutters without causing any damage. They are easy to use and can hold the lights securely in place. Gutter clips come in different sizes, so be sure to select the right size for your gutters. Place the clips about 12 inches apart along the gutter.
- Use Plastic Hooks: Another option for hanging lights is using plastic hooks. These hooks are made of plastic, so they won’t damage your gutters. Simply attach the hooks to the gutter and hang the lights using wire or twine.
- Avoid Using Nails, Screws, or Staples: Using nails, screws, or staples to attach lights to gutters can cause damage to the gutters. These sharp objects can create holes and rust the gutters over time. Avoid using them at all costs.
- Choose LED Lights: LED lights are energy-efficient and generate less heat than traditional incandescent lights. This means they are safer to use and won’t melt or damage your gutters. Additionally, LED lights last longer than traditional lights, so you can enjoy your decorations for many years to come.
- Use Outdoor Extension Cords: Make sure to use outdoor extension cords that are designed to withstand the elements. Outdoor extension cords are weather-resistant and safe to use in wet conditions. Additionally, make sure to use extension cords that are rated for the wattage of your lights.
Hanging lights on gutters can be done without causing damage to your gutters. By using gutter clips, plastic hooks, and avoiding nails, screws, or staples, you can safely hang your lights. Additionally, choosing LED lights and using outdoor extension cords can add an extra layer of safety. By following these simple tips and tricks, you can create a beautiful and welcoming display without damaging your gutters.